Wildflower Honey creates a beautiful glaze. A complex honey would be wasted here because the mustard would overpower any nuances. We love the lemony prune stuffing, but for less fuss you can serve the chicken without it. The roasting time will be the same.
WORK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, preferably Japanese shoyu or tamari Freshly squeezed juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 c tightly packed pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 11⁄2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 whole roasting chicken (4 lb), trimmed of excess fat
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Line roasting pan with foil.
- MIX honey, mustard, and soy sauce in medium bowl. If mixture is too thick to drizzle, thin with a little water.
- COMBINE lemon juice, lemon zest, prunes, rosemary, and 2 tablespoons of the honeymustard mixture in medium bowl. Stuff into chicken cavity.
- SET chicken on rack in prepared roasting pan. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the honeymustard mixture over chicken. Tent loosely with heavy-duty foil, tucking ends around pan.
- ROAST chicken 50 minutes. Remove foil. Spoon remaining honey-mustard mixture over chicken, then tent loosely for remainder of roasting. Continue roasting 30 minutes longer or until an instant-read thermometer registers 175°F when inserted into thigh.
- TRANSFER chicken to platter and let rest 10 minutes.
- Carve chicken and serve with stuffing.
NUTRITION (per serving)
232 cal, 32 g pro, 16 g carb, 1 g fiber, 4 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 100 mg chol, 464 mg sodium