The flavor of honey really comes through in these little loaves. Another bonus: Honey retains moisture and therefore keeps baked goods from getting dry and stale. If you're not crazy about walnuts, sub in almonds, pecans, or pine nuts—or just omit them. Frozen in a heavy-duty resealable bag, these honeyed loaves will taste fresh-baked for up to 3 months.
WORK TIME : 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME : 45 minutes + cooling time
SERVINGS : 16 (4 mini loaves, each serves 4)
- 1 c whole-wheat flour 1 c all-purpose flour 2 tsp baking powder 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 c brown sugar
- 1 c honey
- 1 tsp instant espresso or coffee granules stirred into 2⁄3 c hot water 1⁄2 c canola or safflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c walnuts, coarsely chopped
- PUT oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil and flour 4 mini loaf pans (6" x 3" x 21⁄4").
- COMBINE flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in medium bowl.
- PUT eggs and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed 1 minute. Add honey, coffee, oil, and vanilla extract and beat at low speed 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture and walnuts.
- POUR batter into loaf pans and set on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Rotate pans. Continue baking until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Run knife around edges and remove loaves. Cool completely.
NUTRITION (per serving)
244 cal, 4 g pro, 33 g carb, 2 g fiber, 12 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 26 mg chol, 119 mg sodium